Warming up

After a brutally cold long weekend, it’s warmed up a little and thank goodness because I had trouble getting into the house after a run to see my sister this afternoon.

You see, there have been seven robberies not far from here recently, so it seemed wise to lock up for a change. First, I forgot about the dog walker and the spare key which was buried under six inches of ice.

Would I mind picking Finn up at the boxing gym?

Oh I did mind. It added an extra 50 minutes of driving. If I weren’t so well rested, blubbering might’ve ensued.

AND THEN, I couldn’t unlock the house! I shouldn’t admit this, but we so rarely lock up, I wasn’t even sure which key was supposed to open what door.

Did I even HAVE the key? Maybe I’d lent it to one of the boys over Christmas?

After taking a leak behind the garage, I dug in the snow to try and find the hidden key, which I knew worked on the side door. Couldn’t find it. Could not. Hacked at ice with shovel. Then hacked at ice with edger. Still no key.

(This at least caused any irritation at Handsome Dog Walker to dissipate. Somehow I thought he’d caused me an extra hour of driving by being unwilling to make a four minute effort).

I texted K. He’d come home early but he doesn’t have a house key either.

Really got to thinking I’d rather have my laptop stolen than go through this.

Finn was being good. Patient. He had his little flannel coat on.

Tried the front door again and this time, pushed it open. Whew! I felt such a wave of relief there was almost no room for negative self talk (but seriously, Dee?)

Thank goodness it was 22 degrees and not 2 or 3 degrees with -15 degree windchill like it’d been the previous three days!

Handsome Dog Walker exhausted Finn, so the dog has curled up and slept ever since we got in. And my sister’s tuxedo kitty and she are happy to be home again.

Tomorrow I’ll tell you about the amazing adventure with social security I had on the phone this morning in an effort to renew my driver’s license as a RealID. Hint: it’s a nightmare!