1) One novel does not belong, for at least three fairly obvious reasons
2) Two feature Frederick Douglass as a character
3) One makes Harriet Tubman a prominent character
4) Two books follow John Brown
5) Two take place during the Civil War
6) One makes Walt Whitman a primary character
7) One features larger-than-life slave catchers and takes place around the Chesapeake Bay
8) One novel goes to the Arctic and features balloon travel
9) One has a character who gives birth to her enslaver’s baby
10) Another has a main character who is his enslaver’s child
11) Two former enslaved characters travel to England
12) One freed slave sleeps with her female “employer” and becomes addicted to opium and is accused of murder
13) One story includes the beheading of Thomas Moore and stays close to the thoughts of Thomas Cromwell
14) One tracks a fugitive slave from South Carolina who escapes north and serves as scribe for the British during the Revolutionary War, earning her freedom
Only three- possibly four. Cold Mountain was so painful to read but I always remember the quilt with the fantastic animals on it. I have the list on a card in my “books” notebook.
Wow! I’m impressed with what a reader you are! And seeing them all like this makes me realize how much the cover of a book pulls me in, then I read what it’s about before deciding!
that’s some reading list, read ‘Conjure Women’ by Afia Atakora, it’s well researched with some good insights about the time just before and after the civil war and the abolishment of slavery
Wow thanks .. I like having a list of books to read.